Sunday 28 April 2013

Blue Violet flavoured Mantou Style Buns inspired by Alice in Wonderland



Trippin' out
Spinnin' around
I'm underground, I fell down
Yeah, I fell down
I'm freakin' out
 So where am I now?
Upside down
And I can't stop it now,
It can't stop me now
Ohhh

I, I'll get by
I, I'll survive
When the world's crashin' down
When I fall and hit the ground
I will turn myself around
Don't you try to stop it!
I, I won't cry

 I found myself in wonderland
Get back on my feet again
Is this real? 
Is it pretend?
I'll take a stand until the end

This won't mean a lot to many of you and I don't expect you to understand but almost 4 years ago my world came crashing down and I found myself in wonderland - a place where everything is possible! 

My latest creation is inspired by Alice in Wonderland, Absolom the Blue Caterpillar, the Mad Hatter's Tea Party and both the Red & White Queens.  I've made Blue Violet flavoured Mantou style buns.
The potion for these buns has lots of wishful thinking, some violet essence and a little bit of pork fat but none of the other stuff - lol!  Mmmm, although, jasmine tea does look a bit like wee!
Lard is the secret ingredient chefs use to make the perfect pastry and cakes!
I need a pig here - I love a warm pig belly for my aching feet!
Little Blue Caterpillars
Blue Violet flavoured Mantou Style Buns
Dough
450g plain flour
14g dried yeast
115g sugar
225ml warm water
1 egg white
1/2 tsp vinegar
3 Tbsp pork fat (lard)
2 drops violet essence
2 drops blue food colouring


Sift the flour onto a pastry board or kitchen bench.  Make a well in the centre and add the water and the remaining ingredients with exception of the blue food colouring .  Knead into an elastic, smooth dough.  Divide into two portions and colour one portion blue.  Place kneaded dough into two separate greased bowls and cover with plastic wrap.  

Place the bowls either in a warm spot or a warm water bath for one to one and a half hours or until the dough doubles in size.  Knead both portions of dough into a square or rectangles of similar size. 
Place the blue dough over the plain coloured dough.  Roll up into a sausage shape and cut into 1 inch discs.  Place each disc onto a small piece of parchment paper and put into a bamboo steamer.  Allow to rise for 15 minutes then steam for 12 minutes. Serve hot with some jasmine tea. 
Just Perfect for a Mad Hatter's Tea Party!
Eat Me!
My Little Red Queen!

Recipe adapted from Foundation Dim Sum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little macaron kisses for leaving me a comment. I may not reply to each one but I certainly do read them - thank you.