Friday 1 April 2011

Salted Caramel Macarons with Hints of Lavender - Fleur de Sel

These look ordinary before they're filled 

This week has been a bad week and the last thing I felt like doing was taking photo after photo of the macaron process to go with this post. Everything is fine now but it all started last weekend when our washing machine and fridge decided to shut up shop. I'm too busy with work and kids during the week to bother with washing and even though I'm super organised when I make my macarons, I'm a bit more relaxed about everything else and tend to catch up on the weekend. So, imagine my horror when I had a weeks worth of washing to do and stuff going off in the fridge! We don't realize how much we rely on our electric gadgets until they're not working. I remember cruising down the Nile back in 2000 seeing egyptians throwing their washing against rocks, scrubbing them then dipping them back in the water and I thought that if that were me I'd be there for a month of Sundays! So, I do spare a thought for them and think that it could be worse. Finally, I was able to start washing again yesterday and even though the fridge is working now I've still got little confidence that it's going to continue to do so. I absolutely hate laundromats and avoid them like the plague but would have had to have bitten the bullet if the saga continued any longer. Anyway, I've nearly caught up with my washing already and have made some macarons and am now back in my happy place. The fridge will require another visit from the technician but so far so good.

I'm also guessing that with the number of posts that I've done whereby I've included photo after photo instructing how to make macarons the last thing you would want is another post with more of the same. So unless some readers yell really loudly I'm going to scale back a bit and just post some of the end results until I feel inspired to do it again.

To make macarons choose any one of my previous posts and for the salted caramel click here. In addition to the salt I added one teaspoon of finely ground edible French lavender to the caramel and also sprinkled a little bit of lavender onto the piped macaron shells. Next time I wouldn't worry about sprinkling lavender on top of the macarons because some of it fell off after the shells were cooked.
But look much better here 


3 comments:

  1. What a vibrant color!

    I bought me a pack of color drops (American brand); can't wait to use them. But waiting for my digital weighing machine to come....

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I think I put a tad too much colouring in as they're really, really caramel but I love experimenting. Can't wait to see what your colours are like. BTW, what did you think of the book you bought?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gonna crack my head over the book soon; meanwhile been flipping pages wherever the traffic lights turn red!

    ReplyDelete

Little macaron kisses for leaving me a comment. I may not reply to each one but I certainly do read them - thank you.