Tuesday 1 October 2013

Recipe to Riches Australia - Something Sweet - Karen Marshall - Macarons made with Edible Perfume!


Soooo thrilled to bits that I made it on to Recipe to Riches Australia in the 'Something Sweet' category! To make it into the top 3 within my category and to appear on national TV was crazy, exciting and one of the best experiences I've ever had... loved every minute of it!  A big thank you to Darren Robertson (Chef), David Nobay (Ad Man) & Carolyn Crewel (Entrepreneur).  I'd also like to thank Fremantle Media and Channel 10.
Assembling my French macaron
Violet Parfum French Macaron
My friend and competitor Garth Midgley won the show with his product Chocorn.  Garth's product was very innovative and creative and is now available for purchase at Woolworths supermarket.
I taught myself how to make perfumed French macarons and experienced failure after failure before finally mastering them. When the going got tough, however,  I would remind myself of Oprah Winfrey's quote below: 
Think like a Queen.  A Queen is not afraid to fail.  Failure is another stepping stone to greatness.
I love making French macarons because I can create wonderful colours, flavours and textures.  For me, making them is more than just cooking it's also about science and art.  

There is a market for luxury perfumed French macarons but it's not in the supermarket!  

My daughter Ruby who is only ten helped me considerably in the kitchen and I think that she is the most amazing taste tester in the whole world! Ruby Marshall I love you to bits! 

Here's what the Recipe to Riches Contestant page said about me:

Week 6 Contestant

Karen Marshall
State: Canberra
Occupation: Public Servant
Product: Violet French Macaron

Karen's chocolate ganache-filled, violet macarons are much more than a mouthwatering sweet.  For Karen, they symbolize her power to overcome adversity.  The mum-of-two lost her sense of smell and taste after a mild head injury. Violet is important to her as it's one of the scents she can sometimes detect.

And, to the guy that took a bite of one of my macarons at auditions and said,'... it just felt like I'd been kissed...' - thank you as you made my day! 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Karen! Nice to meet you LM2010! Congratulations on making it to the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily, I consider you as one of my loyal friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Karen!

    It was great watching our episode the other night. The batch up day was such a rush and I was so focused on getting a ridiculous number of Chocorn done that I was oblivious to most of what else was happening. The main thing that I remember about you was that you were incredibly lovely all through it all :)

    There was an enormous amount of pressure on the day and you did so well to come back from your moment of faintness and jump right back into it to sort it out. Well done!

    I hope all's going well for you since, and I'll be sure to check out your blog for any tips on how to best make these tricksy little guys :)

    Regards,
    Garth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Garth

      A huge congratulations on getting Chocorn onto supermarket shelves I'm so proud of you! Ruby and I rushed out the following day and stocked up on our boxes before they all sold out.

      We all screamed with excitement when our episode aired and we all thought that it turned out really well. It's so funny and surreal watching yourself on TV! It was also a laugh watching how we performed in the kitchen but I have to say that you nailed it. Just wish it wasn't so hot as this cook quite literally couldn't handle the heat - lol.

      It was an absolute pleasure meeting and working with you and I really hope that you win 'Recipe to Riches' - you deserve it :) Chocorn has enormous potential and the flavours are unlimited.

      All is going well and I'm thrilled to bits that you took the time to visit my blog and leave a comment. I'm also hoping that you won't have the time to make macarons as you'll be so busy marketing Chocorn :)

      Keep in touch and best wishes,

      Karen

      Delete
  4. Hi LadyMac2010!!

    Hope you are well and doing GreaT!! Wishing you and your family a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

    ReplyDelete

Little macaron kisses for leaving me a comment. I may not reply to each one but I certainly do read them - thank you.