Saturday 5 November 2011

Zumbo's Salt and Vinegar Macaron

Zumbo's Salt & Vinegar Macarons
To make Zumbo's Salt & Vinegar Macarons, make two batches of my basic macaron recipe, one coloured purple and the other brown.  
To make an adapted version of the ganache set aside 50g Modena Aged Balsamic Vinegar, 2g Maldon Sea Salt flakes, 240g White Chocolate & 140g Pouring Cream (minimum 35% fat).
Bring the cream to the boil then blend with the white chocolate
In a slow stream add the balsamic vinegar and combine, fold in the salt then allow to set
Pipe your macarons and assemble. Store in the fridge for at least 12 hours but preferably 24 hours before eating - try to resist the temptation.
I'm not exactly a fan of salt and vinegar crisps so I'm doubtful that these we will be my favourite but we'll see. They're currently in the Perfect Fresh zone in my new Miele fridge soaking up all that lovely humidity!

I just checked the macarons after 12 hours and they still don't have that lovely fudgy chewiness inside yet.  This is because Zumbo's recipes don't make as much filling compared to Pierre Herme.  Had I made Pierre Herme's recipe with oodles of ganache these would have been ready to consume by now but because the filling is sparse they need another 12 hours to mature. I'm rather fussy as I like my macarons to have the perfect texture both inside and out - nothing worse than crisp flavourless shells. 

After 24 hours these macarons were just PERFECT and gave salted caramel a run for their money!

2 comments:

  1. They look very good. I was bait disappointed with the macaroni flavours in the Zumbo cookbook but still good anyway. Salt and vinegar would be interesting. Check out my blog where I review restaurants and cafes. I just did Zumbo http://diningteenager.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Adamanic - love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Little macaron kisses for leaving me a comment. I may not reply to each one but I certainly do read them - thank you.