Tuesday 20 December 2011

Salted Vanilla Caramel Macarons

Unfilled Shells
SALTED VANILLA CARAMEL MACARONS 
Ingredients
125g Fresh Pouring Cream (min 35% fat)
175g caster sugar
5g Fleur de Sel (or substitute Maldon sea salt)
175g unsalted butter (chopped into small cubes)
1 vanilla bean (seeds removed)

Step 1. MAKE THE CARAMEL: Melt the sugar over low heat until it caramelises. Heat the cream and vanilla seeds in a separate saucepan until it reaches boiling point then slowly pour it into the melted sugar.  Blend with a whisk and allow the caramel to cool.  When it reaches 45 degrees celsius add the butter and whisk until well combined. Pour into a shallow stainless steel tray, place cling wrap on the top, to prevent a skin from forming, then cool in the fridge. When set, remove from the fridge, bring back to room temperature, sprinkle the salt on top and hand whisk again until the colour changes and it becomes glossy.

Step 2. MAKE THE MACARONS: Follow the basic recipe and make 1 quantity of macarons coloured caramel.

Step 3. FILL YOUR MACARONS
This is also my entry for Mactweets.  Salted Caramel Macarons are a favourite in our household and I think I would have been in lots of trouble had I not made them during the holidays so here they are with a vanilla twist.  The colour reminds me of autumn but the saltiness reminds me of an Australian summer at the beach! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all at Mactweets.


13 comments:

  1. I love to read your blog about macarons they are so beautiful and some of them so unique!! :D I love to make them, started with disaster and now turn nicely... they have perfect shape and perfect feet... but I don't know why they always hollow *it's killing me softly* lol... do you have any tricks or tips to prevent hollow? I'd appreciated if you can help me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you:) When I've had this happen it was mainly caused by cooking my macarons at a reduced temperature. Try increasing the temperature in your oven and reducing the cooking time slightly. Sometimes these little French treats need a bit more heat in the oven so that the insides of your macarons fill out perfectly. See how you go and let me know... good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lady Macaron...sending many people over your site to learn macaron-making!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annapet, you're awesome thank you:) It's great to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beauties! Love salted caramel and they're the perfect treat. No wonder you would have got into trouble if you didn't make these family favourites over the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very Happy Holidays to you! And yum this must be one of my favorite flavors of macs and I do think it is the perfect flavor for Autumn! Thrilled you are baking with us at Mactweets and I look forward to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I have been looking for recipes for salted butter caramel filling for macs - bookmarked! And just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love salted caramel and these beautiful macarons are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jill I'm still in the good books which is really great. No temper tantrums despite overdosing on sugar so I'm happy:)

    It's great to hear from you Jamie:) Salted Caramel is still our No. 1. Thank you so much for your support with Mactweets, I hope to make lots more;)

    Mardi I'm so glad you're going to try this recipe it's an absolute cracker especially with the fleur de del. Minus the vanilla, the recipe is from Jean Michel Raynaud at Baroque Bistro, Sydney. I worked with him for a day and his macarons are amazing.

    Thanks Lora for leaving great feedback, you are so creative and make the most delicious flavour combinations.

    Wishing everyone at Mactweets a Happy New Year and the best ever year in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops, that should read fleur de del... mmmmm, too much bubbly;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your macarons look absolutely perfect. Salted caramel filling is my favourite flavour for macarons too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in love with these macarons...gorgeous My Lady. And the filling...wow! These are great for the holidays. Thank you for sharing the joy with MacTweets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for your advice :) I've tried to increase the temperature and the result was perfect *so happy* thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete

Little macaron kisses for leaving me a comment. I may not reply to each one but I certainly do read them - thank you.