Wednesday 21 December 2011

Mastering 1920s Style Jelly Making Skills

Inspired by Under Belly Razor and "The Great Gatsby" (2012 film) starring Leonardo Di Caprio, I decided to have another go at making a 1920s style jelly using an Australian brand that has been around for generations "Aeroplane Jelly".  I chose to make a ribbon jelly in red and blue and the flavours were Berry Blue & Bubblegum. No rocket science involved with making this type of jelly, I followed the directions on the box but instead of adding 200ml cold water, I added 100ml and poured the first layer into my porcelain "Carlton" art deco mould.  I then let it set before I poured in the second.  To remove the jelly, I followed the exact same procedure as before but made the water hotter, dipped it in for about 30 seconds (once only) then gently pried the jelly away from the edges and voila, one AWESOME, MAGNIFICENT, SPECTACULAR jewel-like art deco jelly emerged.  It was almost like the vintage mould gave birth to a new generation of jelly in the 21st Century but only with cooler flavours.  It seemed that the jelly was so excited to be freed that it sat there quivering with glee for at least a few seconds. And, I was so proud of my 1920s jelly making skills that I strutted around the house like a very posh waitress doing a balancing act with the plate... I'm proud as punch or should I say JELLY at the moment:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little macaron kisses for leaving me a comment. I may not reply to each one but I certainly do read them - thank you.