Saturday 10 December 2011

Brown Brothers Zibibbo Rosa 1920's Style Jelly

When making this jelly it's very important to buy 2 bottles of Zibibbo Rosa so that you can consume one immediately! 
Allowing the froth and bubble to dissipate 
 
Dissolving the sugar in the Zibibbo 
The gelatin has been added and I'm waiting for the jelly to cool 

Ice with a little bit of salt hastens the setting process 
My circa 1920s Jelly Mould lightly sprayed with canola oil and pre-chilled 
The leftover jelly fills this French glass perfectly   
1920s Style Zibibbo Rosa Jelly
1 x 750ml bottle Brown Brothers Zibibbo Rosa
125 grams caster sugar
7 titanium strength gelatin leaves (softened in cold water for 5-10 minutes)

Place the sugar and Zibibbo Rosa into a medium saucepan.
On a medium heat dissolve the sugar; heat the liquid until hot but not boiling; turn off the heat.
Squeeze excess water from the gelatin and add to the saucepan; stir to dissolve.
Strain through a sieve and pour into a jelly mould.
Refrigerate until set.
Remove jelly from the mould and serve with Turkish Delight & Macarons!

Anyway, after the jelly had set over night I removed it from the fridge, filled up a bowl with hot water; and placed the mould inside for about 30 seconds.  I also gently removed the edges of the jelly from the mould with my fingers and all was looking pretty good.  But then I inverted it and waited patiently for the ruby rose delight to emerge.  Was it going to be perfectly formed? Was I going to be able to show off my 1920s jelly making skills? Mmmmm.... sadly not as most if it came out but then the top got stuck and there was absolutely no way it was going to come out.  Yeah, I think I can recollect this type of challenge before somehow.  My first few batches of macarons were EPIC failures and now it appears I've got another challenge... learning how to remove jelly from ceramic moulds!  Ha - how hard could this be?  Very, apparently... just take a squiz at my half formed jelly below.  And, this is what I've got to say... "you will not defeat me dearest #$@#% jelly mould!"  And, if you're an expert with removing jelly from a ceramic mould leave me a comment I'd love to hear from you!
Note: one titanium strength gelatin leaf is approximately 5 grams or 1.5 level teaspoons of powdered gelatin and sets 250ml liquid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little macaron kisses for leaving me a comment. I may not reply to each one but I certainly do read them - thank you.