Saturday 1 October 2011

Zumbo's Salted Butter Popcorn Macaron


Adriano Zumbo - if you're reading this, now it's your turn to critique my macarons!   Maybe they don't look as good as yours and possibly I put too much melted butter on top of the shells.  And, I most certainly wasn't as adept as you putting the popcorn on top but I will tell you something... I had a bloody good time undertaking the challenge! Just please send an army of oompa loompas to clean up the popcorn!  




Today, I've literally spent hours in the kitchen covered in popcorn and have possibly made the biggest mess ever!  I mixed and wizzed and piped and sprinkled and today for the first time ever made some French buttercream - OH YEAH!  I was totally in my comfort zone preparing the sugar syrup, a bit like making Italian meringue really but then I was totally intrigued about how the whole thing was going to come together as instead of pouring the sugar syrup into egg whites I was pouring it into egg yolks.  The mixture looked really runny for a while and I was starting to panic when Willy Wonka must of heard my pleas for help and voila it just magically transformed into this beautiful, luxurious and delicious thick buttercream. Phew!  Just wish, however, there was more of it as I do like to pipe a generous amount of filling into my macarons.  Next time, I'll double the quantity.





Thanks Adriano for a messy but totally awesome afternoon.  Also, if you've got any more tips to help us domestic goddess's improve please leave a comment.

6 comments:

  1. well..you have inspired me
    I made macarons for a while last fall, and failed many times before I had SUCCESS!.
    I have just returned from a vacation in Paris, and am feeling the need to bake macarons again....then I found you.
    Thanks for the inspiration. Your macaron colors, flavors, and combinations are so beautiful.
    Thanks for the time you allow in your life to post to this blog.

    I have friends traveling to Australia in early 2012; they will be there 3 months. If there are 'must see' places in your area that a tourist guide will not detail, I will share the information with them if you send it my way.
    B E A U T I F U L....macarons!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED your post and can just imagine you in the kitchen having a ball with that popcorn. Look at that blue colour! Wow. Your macarons are beauties and so much fun with the popcorn on top. Oompa loompas? Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gale, thanks so much for the awesome feedback. I'm so jealous of your vacation in Paris - I would have gone on a macaron crawl and stuffed myself silly all the while documenting every bit of it. Not terribly tres chic but who cares, you only live once! I'm glad I've inspired you, if that's what I achieve with this blog then I'm thrilled to bits:) OK, as far as traveling definitely Sydney and Melbourne but I reckon Canberra is just far to BORING! I've lived in London & Hong Kong and am struggling to find the excitement here. Canberran's if you can prove me wrong - go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Jill - OMG I had the best time. I wizzed up the popcorn and decided to put it into a large zip lock bag but because of the static it went everywhere. It reminded me of those little beans that you put in bean bags. It stuck to the bag, it flew out, it stuck to my face, ended up in my hair and then of course all over the table and floor when I was actually decorating my macaron. Talk about a popcorn blizzard! If you're wondering about oompa loompa's Zumbo has a tattoo of Willy Wonka on his arm hence, the link. I had a giggle about that one too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pauline Winjono2/01/2012

    Hey, I've successfully made that macaron shells, but failed to make the buttercream inside. just like u said, it was very runny. so my question is, how did urs turn to be more ganache buttercream like? what did u do? help me pleasee.. thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pauline, I just turned the speed up on my Kitchen Aid and whipped it until it transformed into this lush buttercream. Not sure if it was just a fluke but it seemed to work.

    ReplyDelete

Little macaron kisses for leaving me a comment. I may not reply to each one but I certainly do read them - thank you.