Sunday 16 October 2011

Blood Orange Pate de Fruit

Savour Chocolate & Patisserie school recommend that you practice your new learned skills soon after acquiring them so this weekend I decided to make Blood Orange Pate de Fruits.  The only difference, however, is that this time I experimented with the use of NH Pectin instead of Citrus Pectin.  Apparently, with Citrus Pectin you need an acid to start the setting process but with NH Pectin you don't.  

If  you'd like to try making these yourself the Les Vergers Boiron Fruit Puree website has the ratio's of fruit puree, sugar/pectin, apple juice, caster sugar, glucose and tartaric acid.  Click on the pdf file relating to Confectioners and select the type of pate de fruits you'd like to make with the specified quantities, then follow the recipe below.
Boiron Pate de Fruits - Defrost the fruit puree.  Place the fruit puree and apple juice in a pan and bring to the boil.  Slowly sprinkle in the pectin and caster sugar mixture.  Heat gently, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to the boil.  Add the granulated sugar and glucose.  Add the tartaric acid if necessary.  Cook to 107 degrees celsius.  Cool by adding spirits (if desired).  Pour into a frame.  Note: Try to use a non-sterilised 100% apple juice without added acid or simply replace the apple juice with water.
Organic Blood Oranges
Blood Orange Zest
Blood Orange Juice
NH Pectin & Sugar
Glucose & Sugar
Orange Juice, Zest & Water getting ready to simmer
Bubbling away
Waiting for the Pate de Fruit to set
In the absence of a guitar a pizza wheel and ruler will have to suffice

Orange Jewels

Just Perfect!

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/18/2011

    I received a comment from you at my blog but it's just too good to be true and I truly hope it's you and not just a friend playing silly jokes on me.

    Anyway, I love your blog so, so much and I admire you to bits. You are definitely one of the people I look up to when it comes to macarons (though I am still in the beginner's level, sigh). Thank you so much for being such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments are pretty cool and I'm chuffed! It wasn't joke, I did visit your blog and was sad to hear that you'd been sick and I thought that your macaron cake looked awesome. I don't think you're at the beginners level at all and sometimes us girls don't give ourselves the credit that we deserve. Your macarons rock! You go girl:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10/24/2011

    YOU REPLIED! I am so, so happy. Feels like getting a reply from a celebrity :D

    I am feeling much better now. Thank you so much for your encouraging words, really appreciate it. Now if only I could find the courage to make macarons like yours!

    Really looking forward to your next post. Can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. These are certainly looking like deep orange jewels and I'm trying desperately to sneak one even before the final dusting of sugar goes on ;-)
    These would also be fabulous inside one of your delicious macarons...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Lady Macaron, not only that you make the most exquisite macarons...you also make Blood Orange Pate De Fruit perfectly!

    Guess what, I finally did it and worked up the courage to make macarons with your recipe and instructions! Thank you so much! I shall post about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey lady macaron - i've been drooling all over your macarons, they're all so lovely!

    I was just wondering about the pate de fruit though, I'm headed to Australia for a rather extended trip and I'm thinking of jamming stuff and have been searching for NH Pectin - you mention NH pectin in your post - mind sharing where you bought that from? Thanks :D I'll be headed to Sydney though

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jill, lol... pate de fruit works wonderfully well in the centre. If we can't afford to put big rocks on our fingers we can at least put little gems in our macarons:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Annape, I absolutely can't wait to see the end result. Thanks ever so much for the encouraging feedback and taking the time to try out my recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Janine, I hope you enjoy your trip to oz. Not sure where you could get NH Pectin in Sydney but I order mine online from Melbourne http://www.mfcd.net/store/

    They also sell other really cool stuff... btw, I'd love to see what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, they are indeed just perfect. Such beautiful jewels. I've been slightly obsessed with blood oranges lately. Thanks for the pectin info, I've been wanting to make pate de fruit again and wasn't sure where to get pectin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3/16/2013

    Hey - Great post and pictures! I was wondering if you had been to the Boiron site recently - I just was there and couldn't find the recipes like you were talking about! I wonder if they changed their site or if I am crazy! Thanks for any help in finding them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you:) Really appreciate you letting me know about the broken link - I've fixed it so all should be good to go:)

    ReplyDelete

Little macaron kisses for leaving me a comment. I may not reply to each one but I certainly do read them - thank you.