Sunday 17 April 2011

Dutch Cocoa & Marshmallow Macarons

There is nothing that I love more, on a cold winter's night, than to come inside from the outdoors into the warmth of my home. Snuggling up on the lounge in my jammies, next to my gorgeous giggly girls, sipping thick hot cocoa taking turns to dunk our marshmallows. Thick oozy chocolate all over our lips, dripping down the little girls chin, big smiles and later, lots of cuddles. Excitement buzzing in the air because Easter is just around the corner "I can't wait for the Easter egg hunt" says the eldest gorgeous girl.

Since the Mactweets challenge this month is all about chocolate, I couldn't help but to combine my "Dutch Cocoa & Marshmallow Macarons" with a hint of Easter. My macarons are inspired by the Mactweets challenge and special moments with my gorgeous girls.

I used to love these little fluffy chicks when I was little.
MAKE THE GANACHE 
Use a 2:1 ratio of chocolate to cream i.e. 200g white chocolate and 100g pouring cream (minimum 35% fat) and add a splash of marshmallow essence.

MAKE THE MACARONS:
INGREDIENTS FOR THE DUTCH COCOA TANT POUR TANT (TPT)
312g sifted TPT (140g almond meal with 150g icing sugar & 22g dutch cocoa)
55g egg whites (fresh)

INGREDIENTS FOR THE ITALIAN MERINGUE (IM)
150g caster sugar
37g water
55g egg whites (old egg whites aged 12-24 hours in a bowl on the kitchen bench)
chocolate powdered food colouring

STEP 1. MAKE THE TPT
Mix the Tant Pour Tant (normally equal quantities of icing sugar & almond meal - exception is for this recipe whereby I've added extra cocoa powder) with the fresh egg white until it forms a thick paste, cover with cling wrap and set aside.

STEP 2. MAKE THE IM
Pour your aged egg whites into a Kitchen Aid mixer and insert the whisk attachment.
Bring the caster sugar, water and food colouring to the boil in a small saucepan. When the sugar syrup reaches 115°C start whisking your aged egg whites into soft peaks. As soon as the syrup reaches 118°C slowly pour the syrup into the beaten egg whites in a thin stream. Continue whisking the IM in the Kitchen Aid until it reaches a temperature between 50-55°C. 

STEP 3. COMBINE THE TPT & IM
With a spatula, fold one-third of the IM into the TPT and egg white paste and knock out some of the air in the batter. At this stage of the process you can be quite rough when handling.
Gently fold in the rest of the IM into the TPT and combine until you have the right texture (should be glossy and look like cake mixture). Be careful not to over-mix the batter here or it will get too runny and your shells may crack in the oven.

STEP 4. PIPE YOUR MACARON SHELLS
Fill a piping bag with the macaron batter and place some parchment paper over a baking sheet. Put four small dabs of macaron mix underneath the parchment paper in each corner to secure the paper. Pipe 3.5 - 4cm diameter circles onto the parchment paper, tap the tray on the work surface to remove air bubbles and leave to dry for about 15-20 minutes to form a crust and are dry to touch.

STEP 5. COOK YOUR MACARON SHELLS
Cook the macaron for 17 mins at 150°C (fan forced oven). To release steam, leave the oven door open slightly. If this doesn't work for you, keep experimenting until you find the right temperature as every oven is different. Once cooked, remove from the baking sheet and leave to cool on the parchment paper over a wire rack.

STEP 6. ASSEMBLE YOUR MACARON
Remove the shells from the parchment paper and pair like sizes together. Pipe a decent blob of ganache onto the shell, then place the lid on top and twist slightly so that the ganache flows out towards the edge of the macaron. When piping the ganache onto the shell always leave a small rim.

STEP 7. STORE YOUR MACARON
Store your macaron in the fridge for 24 hours prior to eating so that the humidity helps the ganache to soak into the shell and allow the flavours to develop.  Try not to eat your macaron the day they are made as they are dry.  Allow the macaron to return to room temperature prior to serving.

14 comments:

  1. these are sooo cute! mmmm...i haven't tried making macarons the italian meringue mtd way though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, I really appreciate it. Italian Meringue is pretty forgiving and is a good intro to macarons, let me know if you need some help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I may have to copy you this weekend for my daughter's birthday party. I wonder if I could roll the sides in colored sugar and call them Peeps Macarons? It's not Easter weekend without Peeps... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds perfect - I hope your daughter has a wonderful birthday! Coloured sugar would look absolutely beautiful. Pipe the ganache so that when you assemble your macaron it's near level with the sides of the shell then roll in the coloured sugar straight away before the chocolate sets... voila - gorgeous peeps:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful macarons and those chicks are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look gorgeous, chocolate Macs are my favourites and I love your combo. Thanks so much for visiting my wee blog, yours is utterly lovely. Hope you all have a fab Easter x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4/21/2011

    I love your Macarons and all of your pictures. Your blog is my favorite on the topic! I have been making macarons for a while but I still get lopsided macarons. I use the french method and dont know if that's part of the issue. Have you encoutered this problem and if so do you have theories on what may be causing it? I'd love some advice, this problem is driving me crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lora, How to Be Perfect & Murielle - I hope that you all have a wonderful and safe Easter with your families. Thanks for leaving comments about my macarons it makes my day! Making macarons is very time consuming and its lovely to get some feedback.

    Murielle: I can think of a few things that might be affecting your macarons. Uneven heat in the oven or uneven positioning of the baking tray could be factors but possibly you could be opening the oven door too wide if you're letting steam escape to reduce humidity. I had lopsided macarons in my old oven mainly because I let them crust for too long but then opened the oven door too far. If opening the oven door, use a skewer or chopstick so that it's only open a "crack". If the oven door is open too wide and you're using a fan forced-oven it can affect air-flow. What type of oven are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look gorgeous and those chicks are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Mamatkamal, I had a look at some of your macarons too and they are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a wonderful and very talented mother. These macarons are gorgeous {as always} and the chicks are precious! Thank you for joining us at MacTweets. You are inspiratioanl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5/05/2011

    Awwww, such cute photographs with the yellow chicks and your perfect-as-always chocolate macs. Always enjoy your entries in MacTweets. And I'm rocking to your macaron music box!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Deeba, I appreciate your feedback - thank you. I enjoy making macarons but I think that my blog in no way compares to your amazing recipes and photo's. You are soooo talented. Also, thanks to both you and Jamie for the Mactweets challenge - lots of fun as always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hicookery, I've check out your blog and you have some very droolworthy recipes - yum delish!!! Loved Prince William's Groom cake and also your shrimp salad. I wish I could whip the salad up for dinner NOW - complete food envy! You always leave lovely feedback on my blog - BEAMING. Glad you like the mac music box - not sure what to put on next? If you've got some ideas let me know:)

    ReplyDelete

Little macaron kisses for leaving me a comment. I may not reply to each one but I certainly do read them - thank you.