Sunday 26 May 2013

Vintage Baking - Quince Honey from 1909 turns into Prince of Azerbaijan


It was a tad chilly this morning, minus 3 degrees celsius to be exact.  I could of easily pulled my duvet up over my head and had a bit of a sleep in but instead I decided to get up early and head off to the Farmer's market.  I giggled as I shut the front door as I'd managed to escape the house without the kids waking up.... woo hoo!   I don't often skip but today I did... all the way down our front path to the garage in fact.  Could I manage to get the car out and down the driveway without the piercing screams of little ogres?  You know, the ones that  magically turn into angels as soon as their heads hit the pillow.  My youngest gorgeous girl is watching me now as I type and as I read aloud word for word she starts to look at me in horror and starts to growl - oh no, I'm really scared as she looks like she's just about to turn into a werewolf!  Now, we're both in fits of giggles.  Where was I?  That's right, Quince Honey.  Sounds mysterious doesn't it. Quinces have been around forever and were plentiful at the market today so I bought a couple of kilos worth and decided to not only make a Quince Tagine for dinner and travel to Morocco (flying on the magic carpet under our dining room table of course) but to also attempt a vintage recipe that dates back to 1909 and earlier for Quince Honey.  Not one to always follow recipes I started out with this:

Quince Honey (1)
Ingredients. - 5 large quinces, 1 pint water, 5 lb. sugar.
Boil sugar and water well, then add the quinces, which have been grated. Boil 15 minutes.
Source: Home Cookery for Australia, Third Edition 1909

And, ended up with this:

Prince of Azerbaijan (Your genie in a Jar)
Ingredients. - 3 large quinces, 300 ml water, 1250 grams sugar, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon Monin Rose Syrup, 4 drops rose essence, 1 pinch citric acid
Boil sugar and water until it becomes a thick, clear sugar syrup (about 15 minutes).  Cut, core and grate the quinces.  Add the quinces, lemon juice, lemon zest, rose syrup and essence to the sugar syrup. Boil uncovered for about 15-20 minutes then add the citric acid.  Stir to combine then bottle into sterilised jars. 

Prince of Azerbaijan is the magic genie in your pantry... whenever, you need something a bit exotic remember to reach for this and you'll instantly be transported to magical faraway places.  If you can't afford to travel at least we can pretend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little macaron kisses for leaving me a comment. I may not reply to each one but I certainly do read them - thank you.